Thursday, November 24, 2011

We're thankful to still have power & rain &...

I'm going to have another cup of coffee & enjoy this day as much as possible. Our well pump went out yesterday afternoon!!!! Yep, how lucky are we? The day before Thanksgiving, Nice! This isn't one of those personal posts you would usually see this time of year, maybe with my own family photos, saying lots of happy-happy, mushy-mushy stuff but this is really how I feel right now. I'm happy my kids are healthy & I'm still in love (always will be) but sometimes life delivers you a whole lotta punches & you just have to fight your way through the ick to find the happy side of the situation. Well I'm feeling the ick (along with a few other friends I know) & we're getting those punches back to back (& we keep turning the cheek for another...), it'll happen to you too, if it hasn't already, when you least expect it, we all know that's how it works. It's how we respond, that makes the difference & I'm trying to keep this Thanksgiving happy by serving up some positivity as the main dish with maybe a little complaining on the side, followed up by a big helping of pumpkin pie. Hey, doesn't everything go better with pumpkin pie?
I think experiencing these punches sorta prepares us for down the road, when we'll possibly face worse situations, that just keep coming more than they are now & honestly, I'm simply taking it one day at a time right now. After all, it could be worse & today, we're very thankful to still have power & rain run off (along with many things we're thankful for, trust me, it's not a small list by any means). To stay positive, we keep comparing our situation to camping with lights & a heater, it does kinda help. Everything happens for a reason, we just may not know what the reason is today but I'm sure in time if we keep listening, we'll see why this happened. But turning those sore cheeks sometimes isn't a pretty thought (constantly getting sick, things breaking down with no money to repair, bad news about family members health & lots of other life experiences) but we all get through them & find happiness to keep us truckin' along down the road, it just takes faith & time.
Thanksgiving with my kids was yesterday but it wasn't meant to be either, it's hard to believe how much you depend on a simple luxury until it's not there when you need it. Being mom, I had to make a hard decision. I wanted to enjoy what we had, so we dove into the juicy ham with yummy glaze that finished an hour after the disaster was discovered. Yes I made ham, I'm not big on turkey & I'm the one cooking, so nobody complains. I gave my kids their own pumpkin pie to take with them as a consulation prize, then I reluctantly took them to their dads early. I sorta feel like a failure for not making a nice dinner for them (how was I going to wash all the dishes) but they understood & I knew that Grandma had a nice dinner planned for them the next day. Getting in the truck (which I'm thankful to have to drive) they kept saying I shouldn't say, "It could be worse". Pointing out what could happen. I followed their points with a joking "shut up". Don't burst my positive bubble. I'm thankful they stay positive during these unexpected situation, I love them for that.
So there, I'm done with what maybe sounds like complaining, but trust me, I'm thankful & grateful for what we do have (have I said that enough in this post, lol) & I always do. Like the fact it rained last night. If you've ever been out of water, you know how happy you are to see the rain... & a bucket.
These photos are that of my friend Shanna & some of her family. I had the pleasure of being best friends with Shanna in High School a few years back (ok, maybe more than a few years back, lol). It's funny how life & facebook, brings you together even after many, many years of losing contact. Her mom & dad, (sitting in front row & in photo below, they live here in CA) gave A LOT for me when it was needed most, including I wouldn't have graduated from High School without them (not to mention having a cap & gown) & most importantly, I wouldn't have the strength I have now in people (& to go through all I've gone through) & to make the best of these difficult times. It reminds me of what I have to be thankful for, they gave me a second chance at happiness. What truly good, caring, giving people, I'm so thankful for them, they have no idea.
Although my path didn't start as they would have liked. They really did know best, leading me in a positive military direction. I should have listened more to them & less to a certain boy but things are meant for a reason & I wouldn't change a thing. I think I turned out alright. Maybe I'm a little stubborn, clumsy, whiny, not very good at math, get cranky when I'm tired & who doesn't always want their way, lol. But after all is said & done, I'm overall trying to lead the life of a good person, especially a good mother for my kids & good wife to be for Jon.
It was nice to see them all again & to get this short time to do some family pics. I felt a little pressure (ok a lot of pressure) to do a good job while praying for the rain to hold off for just a few more shots & it did.
I absolutely LOVE the photo above of Shanna & her husband, Jim. It's funny how people react when you ask them to do something difficult, like simply looking at each other. Especially when we just get started & every bodies a little uncomfortable in front of the camera,...heck, I get nervous too & I'm the photographer :)
PERSONAL NOTE:...I got a head cold the night before the session, so I wasn't at my best photographically, like needing a little fill flash but I wouldn't have missed taking these photos for the world. Seeing Shanna & her family together made me realize how much I'm thankful for the people who helped me through those tough times, when I was still too young to understand how much of an impact it would have on me today & I'm incredibly glad Shanna & her family are still in my life today. To say I'm grateful each day for everything that I have had, continue to have & what's still to come, is an understatement. Okay, so I guess this got a little mushy-mushy.
Happy Thanksgiving Everybody!!! Have a great day & Be safe!!

No comments:

Friends & Viewers